Seniors One Stop (SOS) Questions of the Month: August 2023


Will I have to fill out an application for Old Age Security when I turn 65?

In most cases you don’t have to apply for this benefit . Service Canada will inform you a month after you turn 64 that you have been enrolled and provide further instructions.  However ,in some cases they will not have enough information and you will have to apply. If you have not received your letter, you can contact Service Canada for more information.  You may also be eligible for the Guaranteed Income Supplement and will usually be enrolled automatically once you are receiving OAS. GIS eligibility is  reviewed yearly based on annual income.

The best way to apply is online using your “ My Service Account”. You wont be able to apply for this benefit until you are at least one month past your 64th birthday and currently living in Canada. Employment history is not a factor for eligibility but you must have resided in Canada for at least 10 years after age 18 . More information on website below for residence requirements.

Service Canada will mail you a letter with either a decision or that they require more information. Make sure your contact information ( ie address) is up to date .


Seniors One Stop Navigation Centre: 604-982-3302

For more information on this benefit call Service Canada at 1 800 277 9914 or visit the website


Service Types: General Information, Seniors Support, Financial Information & Assistance,